PDA

View Full Version : Battery Upgrade General Question

yc2011
03-20-2011, 02:25:14 PM
I've been flying around my SC or about 10 months now and am looking to put a different battery in it for extended flights. I noticed Wayne posted a battery "conversion" but that SC is fitted with brushless motor. Would the stock SC not have enough power to handle a larger battery? Any tips

ATIS
03-20-2011, 03:21:36 PM
Its not so much the motors ability to lift the lipo but rather that the brushed motor cant handle 11volts for a long periods before it burns up.

yc2011
03-20-2011, 03:32:43 PM
So I should just stick to the stock battery and maybe get a couple more to keep enjoying my plane?

Thanks!

ATIS
03-20-2011, 03:37:32 PM
I am assuming your running a NIHM battery. You can always increase the mah to extend the flight times.

yc2011
03-20-2011, 03:57:13 PM
Nah! I have the lipo that came with: a 11.1v 1300 mAh 14.4Wh lipo. Could i just bump the mAh up to say 2200 and have a longer flight time without disturbing the workings of the plane? My 1300 works great but I just wish it would last longer.

WJCJR1
03-20-2011, 04:19:46 PM
Hey yc2011 you have the newer SuperCub LP correct?

If so YES just go with a larger battery for more flight time.

You will need to do some improvising to make a 2200 fit in there. You are just down the road from me and my airfield, if you wish to meet I will happily show you in person what I did to get the 2200 mAH battery in there.

BTW, doesn't fitting that battery in there stink? I am not too impressed with the fit of the Super Cub LP with the 3S LIPO that HZ recommends, WAY too tight for my liking. I thought a newly designed battery box would've been in the making when the LP was introduced but it's the same old battery box from the older NIMH based version.

Wayne

PM me if interested in meeting up. Airfield may be accessible this upcoming weekend snow is going QUICK with the instant warm weather. May be able to maiden the E-Flite Extra 300 32e then :cool:

herk1
03-20-2011, 04:23:33 PM
You didn't say at first that you had the LP Cub instead of the original red-striped one that comes with NiMh battery. With the red one, if you want to upgrade to LiPo on the stock motor, you should prop down a little...or like ATIS said, you will burn out the motor quicker. The red one came with a 10x8 prop. My Cub is that older one. Since the blue LP Cub already comes with a 9x6 prop, you're OK. If you want more flight time, just stick a bigger LiPo in there. The Cub on the stock motor can certainly handle the weight of a 2200 3S LiPo...that would weigh about what the stock 8-cell NiMh battery on the red Cub weighed, or maybe a bit more. Only problem is whatever cutting and fitting you need to do to get the larger battery in there in a way that keeps the CG where it should be.

WJCJR1
03-20-2011, 04:26:37 PM
If you do go for the larger battery remember CG. Depending on how you rest the battery in there you could disturb the CG, at a minimum check it.

Forgot to answer your intial concern though, you will have no problem with the electronics. 3S battery is a 3S battery no matter what the size. It is the voltage that revs up your motor or messes with other electronics. That Super Cub LP was designed for a 3S battery you are good.

Wayne

yc2011
03-20-2011, 05:02:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Really helpful. My dad and I are looking into ordering some batteries so this will be helpful. I will probably hook up with you to get my SC going on 2200 mAh. I'm excited to go out and see you guys fly again! I'm excited for the summer to come for sure. I had A LOT of trouble with the stock battery and battery box when I first got the plane but I've gotten use to the tight squeeze. I have a huge pile of scrap cub parts. Enough for about three good planes with a couple spare parts so I might outfit those with a 2200 and look to sell them.

Anyway, Thanks again for the replies. Sounds like a 2200 3S would be a good option for the SC LP.

Mike