PDA

View Full Version : New Plane in My Hanger - Multiplex funCub

bassfisher
12-01-2011, 07:57:48 AM
I know that this forum is pretty much reserved for Horizon planes, but I just have to share a really great plane that I have been flying for the last couple of months, the Multiplex FunCub.
If you look on RCgroups, you'll see 600 plus pages for this great little plane.(and you can see pics of mine under bassfisher)
I have a HeadsUpRc 3536-10 on the front, I'm using batteries from 1560 to 3000 mAh (all 3C), 50A ECS, and 6 each 9g servos all around. The plane is a blast to fly.
I have two flap positions programmed into my Spektrum DX7. 45 degrees and about 85 degrees. The plane will take-off with half-flaps in less that a plane length with no wind. With a little wind, I can land it with full flaps and have zero roll.
Building is easy, as the kit is basically glue the two fuse sides together (after installing the motor mount tracks). I hot glued the servos in for ease of removal (still have yet to have to replace one). I have left the wing in two pieces (for ease of transportation). About the only mod I had to make was one of servos pockets for a flap servo (to lazy to buy a servo reverser).
One of these days, I'll buy the float set for the plane, but with winter approaching, maybe I'll just make a set of skis for it (in case we get snow here).

For some, it might seem pricy for a foam plane, (I won mine in a raffle), but I will end up buying another one in the future. I highly recommend this plane for anyone (trainer up to just a great knock around plane). Although it looks sorta like a cub (even with the large tundra wheels), once you fly one, you'll be hooked. A couple of friends of mine had them and let me fly theirs (before I got mine) It was love at first flight.

WingingIt74
12-01-2011, 08:53:43 AM
Is that the orange one?

pinchflat
12-01-2011, 09:04:38 AM
I have seen some videos of that plane. Looks fun. (hey maybe that's where they got the name). :)

ATIS
12-01-2011, 09:08:09 AM
Basssfisher,

Feel free to post away! If you wanted to do a review on it like we do for the HH planes you can do it that as well. Not all our reviews are of HH planes, I did one on the HL SU-34.

ATIS

WingingIt74
12-01-2011, 09:08:52 AM
wrong one, it's this one.
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/itemmultimedia/HZ/MPU214243/MPU214243-450.jpg

Voodoo101
12-01-2011, 09:25:35 AM
I doubt that anyone here will mind that you post about your Fun Cub. Especially when Horizon Hobby sells the Fun Cub Kit.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/fun-cub-kit-MPU214243?showRatingsReviews=true

Personally I'm very interested in the Fun Cub. My grandson really likes cubs so we'll probably have several over the next few years. Currently we have the HobbyZone Super Cub LP. Between these two kits I'll bet they train more new pilots than any other kits on the market.

I was reading the reviews on the Fun Cub a while back and I know that there are some who are not happy with the engine mount. I was wondering if you've had any problems with yours?

Maybe you could post some pics of yours on this board. And I have posted about my Cermark Fantasy Racer on this board and that plane is not sold by HH. No one here seemed concerned at all.

I'm glad you posted and keep 'em coming.

WingingIt74
12-01-2011, 09:36:07 AM
Heck no we don't mind. It's all about having fun :)

ATIS
12-01-2011, 09:43:39 AM
We dont mind at all, thats why we created teh forum for all other manufactures. We dont expect people to only fly HH planes, heck I dont fly only HH planes.

WingingIt74
12-01-2011, 09:46:15 AM
I wonder if those wings are similar in size to the one on the HZ super cub?

Just looked it up, they are larger.

WingingIt74
12-01-2011, 10:07:59 AM
Hmm, I could probably use those wheels though ;)

WingingIt74
12-01-2011, 10:12:22 AM
I don't think I've seen EPP wheels before...
http://www.multiplexusa.com/photo.php?pi=564&size=eight

bassfisher
12-01-2011, 02:31:42 PM
Thanks guys. To answer a few of the questions.
I replaced the stock motor mount with a metal one from HeadsUp Rc. It got rid of some the vibration (and it wont crack lol)

The wheels are made out of the same Elapor foam as the rest of the plane. They do great on grass, but dont like pavement runways (they grab like velcro).

Tailspin, yes the orange and white one is mine and the wing is larger than the HZ Super Cub (FC also has ailerons and optional flaps). I painted mine with Krylon Fusion paint - for plastics(just light coats and let them dry in-between coats). The plane out of the box is totally white (with a great set of decals), but I decided in honor of my step daughter (who goes to Univ of Tenn) to go with the orange and white. Plus it looks really great in the air for my old eyes. So you can decorate anyway you want.

Plus, you can get the Multiplex optional float kit that uses one more bracket to hold the additonal bracing wire for the floats. I have seen the main wheels swtiched to floats in less than one minute. My friend that let me fly his with and without the floats (lands like a dream on water) There was no trim change at all between the floats and wheels. Some folks on RCGroups have modified there landing gear (they compalined about it being weak or too bouncy on landing - I dont mind the soft bouncy landing sometimes) A few have also hung cameras off thiers to take pictures.

I do know that it will take a variety of motors, I first flew mine with a Omage 72g Motor and it did great, then I put the bigger motor on it for even more impressive flying.

All I know is that everytime I fly it, someone will want to get some stick time on it and ends up buying one for themselves:)

bassfisher
12-01-2011, 02:47:00 PM
ATIS, I wish I had taken pics of the build, but there are so many building vids and write ups on this plane, why continue? Lol A couple of mods that I should have made (and will do on a future one) include cutting a slot on the inside of the front airscoop to run the three wires from the motor to the ESC. It makes it so much easier to snake the wires back to the ESC, in case your have to pull thte motor out for repairs or if you have installed it and the motor is running backwards (where did I learn that from?) The motor-mount is designed to have the motor mounted behind it. Also, next time I will cut a little more foam out of the inside of the fuse (under trhe wing) to allow for a larger battery to be installed . A sharp blade helped me out, but should have done it before I glued the two fuse sides together.

A lot of people are making the wing one piece (by gluing it together) but I have yet to see the wing halves separate after a hard flight.

If you buy one, read the instructions (they are in various languages) considering this kit is marketed worldwide. But watch the build vidoes out there, they will answer a lot of questions before you start gluing it together. It took me about an hour to get mine together. I used a good med. CA and hot glue for the servos. Some folks are using the recommend servos for the elevator and the rudder, but my HXT900s are more than up to the task.

ATIS
12-01-2011, 03:12:49 PM
Bassfisher, not everyone visits other websites so it snice to have the info here to help those that buy the plane, plus it will expose others on this forum to the subject plane. Please do post threads on the mods. There is always a mod to a plane that can transfer over to other planes... or just a better way of doing something that you already do.

bassfisher
12-01-2011, 03:28:59 PM
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/rcflier_97/1316310629.jpg
Showing off one the bench before putting in the motor

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/rcflier_97/1316310514.jpg
Top of the wing, talk about hi-vis

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/rcflier_97/BishopFieldDeansFunCub1Oct11.jpg
Low, slow and everything hanging out. That full flaps, Multiplex has great flap hinges included with the plane.

The kit has everything you need to get it flying (to include premeasured wires for control surfaces) except for servos, Tx & Rx, motor, ESC, battery, servo extensions and of course glue. Very complete and fast build.

Hope you like the paint job :)

Trojanman
12-01-2011, 05:43:11 PM
That thing looks like a blast! Paint looks good, like the scheme. Very easy to tell when those wheels aren't down! Jealous... Were freezin fingers up here, I'd love to be down there right about now. Happy flying!

THE AUTO PICASSO
12-01-2011, 06:10:04 PM
I like the paint scheme. Looks good and a nice lay-out.

ATIS
12-01-2011, 08:09:23 PM
those wheels make it rough field acceptable!

bassfisher
12-01-2011, 08:28:27 PM
It loves rough ground. That's why I think that folks that try to modify the gear to make it more rigid are kinda missing the point of having springy gear for grass and rough landing areas.
Trojan - I feel for you man. I've been around your part of the country plenty of winters (ft. McCoy, WI). Makes me love living here.

Thanks for all compliments. It only took about 30 minutes to mask off and shoot the paint. Nice to have a blank canvas to work on.

Timewarp
12-03-2011, 07:42:23 AM
Here in Germany this is a vary popular plane, the big wheels really pay off and I have seen this thing take off in 6" of grass no problem, plenty of power. I know a few guys that are very experienced pilots and still love to fly this plane whenever they can.

Voodoo101
12-04-2011, 09:07:50 PM
Way too many neat planes on the market, and just not enough time and money....dang I hate that. But I'll keep on having fun with 'em anyway.

I've never seen a Fun Cub in person. Does the cowl come off fairly easy, and what is the Lipo change like between flights?

bassfisher
12-05-2011, 12:31:57 PM
Voodo - the cowling is part of the fuse. The motor mount has the motor mounted behind the mount. Lipo change is easy as pie, as the windshield block comes off as one piece of foam. Takes me maybe 15 seconds to change out the lipo. If you look real close at the pic of mine, you can see where the windshield block comes off.
I knew the feeling about too many planes and not enough money lol